Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Why I've been a lame "daily" painter


I cringe every time I see my blog title "A Painting a Day by Patti Mollica"  Hardly, right? Once a week... maybe? Well it's time to come clean, I actually have a credible alibi. I just finished writing and illustrating my second book.  The title is: Color Theory: An essential guide to color - from basic principles to practical applications". The writing was the "faster" part, (using that term loosely), all the paintings and diagrams that went with the writing were the time-gobblers. So in my defense - I actually have been painting daily - but not posting the new work created as color examples for the book. I did over 100 diagrams and charts to illustrate color as value, absolute color temperature, relative color temperature, color as focal point, chroma contrast etc etc.  The paintings created show examples of various color schemes, value depictions, lighting conditions, color moods, color movements throughout history, etc etc. I have to say, the final-chapter-paintings were the most fun: "throw out all the color theory models and just play with color like a kid".  How could I leave that concept out - isn't it how we came to love art in the first place?

The book will be available January 2013, and now it's time to enjoy my summer... but why is it so chilly?

9 comments:

Jerry Stocks said...

Congratulations on the new book. Can hardly wait to get a copy in January.

Karla said...

Wow! The concepts in your book sound very interesting. Things that I have often wondered about. Congratulations!

Nancy Colella said...

Can't wait to get my hands on that book! You must feel so relieved that it is "in the can"!

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Looks like a great second book, I have the first one:)...can´t wait for it.

Patti Mollica said...

Yes, I certainly do feel relieved that its in the can! time to get my life back, and paint for myself again. I will put a link on my blog when the book is available at amazon...thanks guys!

Barbara Pask said...

Congrats Patti, your new book looks fantastic. You are one busy talented lady.

angie Brooksby-Arcangioli said...

Wow Patti, that is so exciting. I can't wait to see it.

Jo Mackenzie said...

I will be buying it for sure.

Patti Mollica said...

hey thanks you guys!