Monday, October 17, 2011

Eat, Drink, Play!


Yesterday I taught a full day workshop in painting techniques using Golden paints, gels and pastes. It's very rewarding - and fun - to turn artists on to completely new ways of creating artwork which is unrelated to artistic experience or drawing skills. The materials lend themselves to playing, creating, and being mesmerized by texture, sheen, and seeing how color dances with surface and light. Although I'm a representational painter, I often go to my studio and get lost in this world of color and texture magic. This is my "chicken soup for the soul" when I want to throw control to the wind and play with wild abandon. Sometimes I feel like a mad scientist conducting exotic experiments - mixing, pouring, layering, dripping, oozing, scraping, spraying, ... one idea feeding the next. I'm sure my husband would prefer some of this creative energy be directed towards cooking actual meals, like with food. No such luck anytime soon. Sorry honey, my studio is way more fun than the kitchen!

4 comments:

Giselle Vidal McMenamin said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I must agree that exercising those pure creative impulses with total abandon and no plan or structure is a blast.

Cynthia Schelzig said...

These examples look great! Must have been a fun day!

Bruce Bingham said...

I love it. Looking forward to playing with you in Tuscany next September. It's been too long
girlfriend. Maybe I should start my diet now!
xo

Patti Mollica said...

yes, it surely is fun. and the best thing about it is that i don't know where any of it is going to end up - its just a journey for the sake of going on an adventure. no goal in my mind to try and achieve, just seeing what happens when i do different things and the amazing surfaces I end up with. its big fun!