Monday, February 7, 2011

New York Pretty




I like to do paintings in one session (called "Alla Prima") but when they have a lot of detail, as in urban landscapes, that one session can feel like a marathon. This was one of those. I started at about 1pm and finished at 11:30 pm, taking a break only to go out for a slice of pizza, and to throw the ball for my bored-silly pooch.
Once you get warmed up and into the flow, the brushwork takes on a natural, loose quality. "New starts" can show up in a multi-session painting as passages that look stiff and forced. I want the whole painting to have the same loose quality, thus the painting marathon. Plus, I'm impatient and this was a commission with a tight deadline. That always helps.
New York Pretty
Acrylic on canvas, 18x24"

4 comments:

Ward-Nasse Gallery said...

Great!
I am fan of your art works, you are the one to make New York street scenes alive.
Kind regards from Buzios - Rio de Janeiro - Brazil where I am now for art exhibition called " Fall in NY"
Leda Maria
www.ward-nassegallery.blogspot.com
www.ledaarte.blogspot.com

Patti Mollica said...

Sounds GREAT! I'd love to see it

Gary Keimig said...

great blog and art work.
congratulations on the recent award on the Bold brush comp. It was a wonderful painting.

Patti Mollica said...

Thanks very much, Gary!