Friday, February 11, 2011

Bottle and Cherries (SOLD)


Yesterday was one of those deadline laden days, what else is new. I've been in the advertising business for over 30 (ahem) years , the deadlines just keep getting tighter and crazier. At least in the old days there was built in fluff time - send out for type that you physically pasted - with glue or wax - on to your boards, sending the type back for revisions... all that back and forth left plenty of time for the 3 martini lunch (for some people that is, I was never so lucky).

I have to scratch my head sometimes and ask why I have added a new self imposed deadline to the mix - daily painting. Do I really need yet another deadline? Hardly - but this one trumps all the others in terms of what it adds to my life... its for me. Its my way of showing myself that my soul needs are just as important as everyone else's business demands. I get the crumbs of time that are left over after everyone else is accommodated. But thats OK - I'll make time for it by squeezing it in somewhere, somehow, at whatever crazy hour of the day or night, because I committed to that goal. Whether the painting comes out well or is a total flop - what matters is the act of doing it.

I didn't have time to mess around with dramatic lighting - or any lighting - I just plopped the bottle and the cherries down and dove in fast. Maybe next time, when I have a little more time, I'll at least shine a light on it and see what happens. For now, this will do - I did it:-)

Now I'm running off to a trade show where I will be demo-ing and teaching people how to use acrylic pastes, gels and mediums with their paint - maybe one of my demos will be tomorrow's post...

Bottle and Cherries
Acrylic on Canvas 6x6"

2 comments:

Denise Rose said...

Love those cherries! And that bottle is just perfect! I know you are pressed for time with all you do, but your work is wonderful and it is good you can squeeze in some time for the painting too!

Patti Mollica said...

hey denise - thanks - i'm glad you like it. sometimes rushing can be a good thing, no time to sweat the details. glass it interesting, its actually a bit more forgiving than i would have guessed...